While we can’t predict the future, we think that it’s always important to keep a watchful eye out for trends in our industry. The field of healthcare is one that constantly evolves, as new implications constantly arise for doctors, patients, and well-being support providers like us.
Below is a list of several major emerging trends in healthcare that we think could be truly ground breaking. In our opinion, these trends – for which we’ve begun to see the seedlings – could be total game-changers, for Healthways and for the industry at large.
Here are five patterns in the healthcare industry that we think have the potential to stick around, at least for the time being:
- Health plan preparation for state insurance exchange implementation, which is projected to cause significant disruption of individual and small group fully insured businesses;
- Change from a volume-based to a value-based payment system, a change which comes with the associated shift of financial responsibility (and thus, risk) for cost and quality from health plans to providers;
- Increasing payer requests for comprehensive, integrated solutions, as more insurance clients aim to address longitudinal health risks and care needs for total populations;
- Adoption of population health management on a global scale, by both foreign government and foreign private sector health organizations; and
- Recognition by large employers of the expanded value of improved well-being, to reduce medical cost and improve individual and company productivity and performance.
This is just the beginning of changes we expect to see in the industry; momentum has already begun to pick up, and we’re excited to see how the space evolves. Particularly due to the upcoming 2012 presidential elections, our healthcare industry may be in its most malleable state ever – and this may hold direct or indirect impact upon our well-being as a country.
So, what do you think? How have you witnessed these industry trends in your own healthcare experiences? What are some other major changes in healthcare that you see on the horizon? Let us know by leaving comments below or on our Facebook page!