Holiday festivities are just around the corner. This year, give yourself the gift of fitness! By planning ahead, you can avoid the weight gain, disappointment and (ever so common) Sprint & Fizzle of New Year's resolutions.
Sticking to an exercise & diet regime takes time, effort and commitment. Having support can make the difference between success and reverting back to old unhealthy habits. Finding a supportive friend, training partner, family member or online forum will go a long way towards helping you stay focused and motivated.
Staying fit is an ongoing lifestyle choice.
Here are some great suggestions that will lead to your success:
- The simple act of READING about eating healthy and different ways to stay on track can make a big difference! You’ll subconsciously recall something you read and act upon even without realizing you are doing it.
- The simple act of LOOKING at images that reflect your goals can make a big difference! Put a picture, article or motivational statement on your refrigerator door. Be sure it really inspires YOU. Look at it and think of what it means to you every time you think of opening the door or walk by.
- Set realistic goals that can be met and maintained in the midst of day to day activities and responsibilities.
- Let go of thinking in terms of ‘on’ or ‘off’ The Diet. Just be aware of what you eat & make good healthy, low calorie choices TODAY.
- Limit portion size. 2 bowls taste the same as 2 bites. Pay attention to when you are ‘full’ and when you are eating it because it is there.
- Limit soda and drink more water. Staying hydrated helps curb appetite.
- Leave food on the stove. Fill your plate with less than you think you want and go sit down. You will be less likely to go back for more.
- Balance your choices. Drop the ‘all or nothing’ thinking. If you treat yourself today, then make up for it by eating stricter and less calories tomorrow. Develop a healthy, guilt free relationship with food.
- Don’t punish yourself or beat yourself up, but rather keep moving forward with your overall plan. The only way you will not get there is by standing still. Keep going!
- Find ways to get exercise that you enjoy enough to do faithfully.
- Do you 'stuff' your anger or eat to 'fill the void’ of boredom, loneliness or other emotions? Feel it, don’t eat it! Take action instead. Bored? Lonely? Go for a walk or call a friend.
- Reward yourself! Every single day you are taking one step closer to your goal and practicing the habits that will help you maintain forever. Celebrate, acknowledge and enjoy!
- Set yourself up to succeed! Maintain your desired weight and fitness level with an exercise and meal planning schedule that fits into your personal lifestyle.
By setting healthy lifestyle goals and reaching them, you will find joy, energy, self-confidence and new emotional coping tools that do not involve food.
Many people successfully attain and maintain their weight and fitness goals. You can, too!